Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Poor performance on HVM (kernbench)

  • To: "Gianluca Guida" <gianluca.guida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "George Dunlap" <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:07:56 +0100
  • Cc: Muli Ben-Yehuda <MULI@xxxxxxxxxx>, deshantm@xxxxxxxxx, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel mailing list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:08:26 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=Tgfc5Zf2qO2YNOy+xzhznLu8fOTRc8VMJf+sx1cd4U4n9mXHy7qIaGmjC/5yWUPsNz iXaY1ZCMyZiFnLZJmgUXEtdY0IosA3nz9e2QxPss4gHedyrcruVRwqrGlD3/WFpXntT2 83EIOFpS1K1ah66zKGu6oUdbfkhJpySGi10cY=

So, the problem appears to be with a ton of brute-force searches to
remove writable mappings, both during resync and promotion.  My
analysis tool is reporting that of the 30 seconds or so in the trace
from xen-unstable, the guest spent a whopping 67% in the hypervisor:
 * 26% doing resyncs as a result of marking another page out-of-sync
 * 9% promoting pages
 * 27% resyncing as a result of cr3 switches
And almost the entirety of all of those can be attributed to
brute-force searches to remove writable mappings.

(Caveat emptor: My tool was designed to analyze XenServer product
traces, which have a different trace file format than xen-unstable.
I've just taught it to read the xen-unstable trace formats, so the
exact percentages may be incorrect still.  But the preponderance of
brute-force searches is unmistakable.)

The good news is that if we can finger the cause of the brute-force
searches, we should be able to reduce all those numbers down to
respectable levels; my guess is totaling not more than 5%.

 -George