RE: [Xen-devel] ANNOUNCE: Removing in-tree ioemu from xen-unstable.hg

Daniel Magenheimer writes ("RE: [Xen-devel] ANNOUNCE: Removing in-tree ioemu
from xen-unstable.hg"):
> It would be really nice if the default build process
> ensured that all external bits were (or at least could
> be) pre-downloaded and that all necessary tools (git?)
> were present.

This is a good point.

> After >30min of "make world" time, I am waiting while
> the stubdom makefile is trying to wget newlib from
> sources.redhat.com... and failing repeatedly.  (Other
> downloads worked, so its not a proxy problem.)  I am
> hesitant to interrupt as I'm not sure if I will need
> to start the build over again.

Of course some people would prefer to have the computer build what it
can while waiting for the downloads.

So how about a separate top-level make target, which does all of the
external fetching ?  Then you could say
   make fetch-remotes
or something.

> Risking topic drift... is stubdom required in 3.3
> and unstable?  If not, is there (or should there be)
> some easy way to turn it off from the make command line,
> to avoid all of the wgets?

It's not required.  I don't know if there's a simple way to turn it
off from Config.mk but if there isn't I think there should be.

Ian.