[Xen-devel] Xen 3.2.1 and large traffic problems

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pepe Barbe <elventear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:10:19 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:11:19 -0700

Hello,

I am having a issue with my Xen setup, that other people have reported as well. No one seems to have a solution to this problem or an idea what might cause it. My only hope is that I might get some more ideas here in the devel list.

The basic problem is that if there is sustained high data rate traffic through a virtual interface, it seems that the queues fill up and the link dies, taking like 2 minutes or so to come back up. Once it dies there is nothing to be done except wait for it to start working. In my case high data rate means more than 5 Mbps.

My only solution has been to use iptables QoS to limit traffic to 4 Mbps. Otherwise during normal usage I hit this issue sporadically cutting our off our network completely.

Below are a few links that refer to this problem, so you can get an idea of what people are experiencing and what has been suggested.

Related Xen-Users posts:

http://tinyurl.com/4uhbbx
http://tinyurl.com/4slb72
http://tinyurl.com/3mfcky

Related Ubuntu bug:

http://tinyurl.com/4nex6q

I would gladly try whatever it is suggested to debug this problem, but I need some ideas first, because I don't know what else to try.

Thank you,
Pepe