RE: [Xen-devel] Questions about certain Xen limits and features

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jan Beulich
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 9:31 AM
To: Keir Fraser; Vessey, Bruce A
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about certain Xen limits and features

>>> Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 07.11.08 15:22 >>>
>> (2a)  What's the largest host memory that anybody has tested?
>> (2b)  What's the expected host memory limit (if somebody was able to
>> configure a system that large)?
>
>I think 256GB has been tested. Theoretically we're good up to 1TB, and
>we could expand beyond even that without too much trouble.

1Tb has been tested recently by IBM. However, giving anything beyond
512Gb to Dom0 (or any other domain) is expected have issues, unless the
kernel used is one that has fixes to deal with that (the patch I had
submitted for that apparently caused some trouble in the 2.6.18 tree).
The tools also aren't prepared to deal with DomU-s larger than 512Gb, I
believe.

Jan