Re: [Xen-devel] Root filesystem access from Xen Hypervisor

  • To: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "George Dunlap" <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:58:11 +0000
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:58:41 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=k22Ctj1fOecowRKuXAJ8diJ/YyAzScix8mQY6c6n9mRec651TImcnk2I6ZzTDA5rM+ q76zFa00ezhP28lULGvgriyu0zGqPHTFYKBXr2dfDNZ/4+FCdQC1Jiav+YhQxfl3Z1r6 47cdFGEstakN2l36lAC5+tdQ/xdK8AecWt1A4=

If you want to export data out of the hypervisor, the easiest thing to
do is set up a shared memory mechanism.  Look at xen/common/trace.c
and tools/xentrace/xentrace.c for one simple xen-to-userspace example.

Hmm... if you want to reuse as much of the interface as possible,
you'll probably need to make a Linux kernel module that implements
/proc/gcov-xen.  The hypervisor can write usage data to the shared
page(s), and the kernel module can read it, interpret it, and make the
/proc files based on it.

For a sample of how to use xen-to-kernel shared memory, you can look
at xenoprofile; but be warned that it's suffering some bitrot.

Let me know how you fare -- it seems like an interesting project.

 -George