[Xen-devel] detecting a 'block-configure' via xenbus

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:02:03 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:02:39 -0800

How should I be detecting a block-configure operation done in Dom0 in a
HVM DomU?

Under Debian Lenny's Xen 3.2.1, when I execute such a command, Dom0
writes to the backend values 'params' and 'type', twice, but doesn't
update the 'sectors' value to match the new device, or initiate a state
change. Given that, the best I can come up with is to watch 'params',
and initiate the state change in DomU to re-initialise the backend
connection and hopefully get an updated sectors value...

Also, is there a mechanism for detecting a cdrom eject if it is a real
cdrom being emulated?

I've been exchanging emails with a guy on the -users list who is using
the GPLPV drivers under XenSource's product. I'm a little surprised that
they work, but apparently they fix a few problems he has had with
XenSource's own Windows PV drivers. My drivers don't detect ejecting
CDROM's though, and I'm wondering if the open source tree even has a
mechanism for this - either at 3.3 or an earlier version.

Thanks for any info

James