Re: [Xen-devel] NPT and EPT question

I think Tim is right. On my spec (24593, Dec 2005), it is explained as the following:

"Table walks for guest page tables are always treated as user writes at the host level. For this reason, * the page must be writable by user at the host level, or else a #VMEXIT(NPF) is raised, and * the dirty and accessed bits are always set in the host page table entries that were touched during nested page table walks for guest page table entries"

As explained in the second one, CPU needs to update guest table entries (A and D bits, especially A bit) when it walks through guest table. That is why the dirty and accessed bits are set in host table.

-Wei

Tim Deegan wrote:
Hi,