Re: [Xen-devel] blkif shared ring

  • To: "Samvel Yuri" <samvelox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Geoffrey Lefebvre" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:16:21 -0800
  • Cc: Dutch Meyer <dmeyer@xxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Warfield <andy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:16:51 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=NxYqf/IreYRlUoRVOhYduYtqTHfWU90IYVRtUwCJNiGZ/M6vCmIHOun/DDBmdE6P6x uZw0AwHVBPT/oMhScYB7YAR4FFPd6WubScqhNMYofFpVea0Vm2j/qXwGN2GrkxP2FMxg hSYzqcoNmCm1RNeGZj8RDIYCjxqXxyo57C2UQ=

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Samvel Yuri <samvelox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi Samuel-
>
> Would you please explain what do you mean by "using the whole buffer page"?
>
> Parallax (project of University of British Columbia) modified XEN by
> allocating an
> additional shared ring page in the blkback driver. Probably one of options?

Hi,

Regarding Parallax, we added support for multi-page ring to increase
the throughput of a guest block device when using an iscsi filer as a
backend. The single page ring is enough to saturate a standard SATA
drive but we got a noticeable performance increase (from 65 to a
105MBps I think) when we doubled the ring size with the iscsi backend.

I remember seeing multi-page ring patches for mini-os and fs-back from
Samuel. Is there a plan to generalize these patches to
blkfront/back/tap?

We had patches for blkfront, blkback and blktap. The size of the ring
was a compile time option for blkfront. The patches are pretty old
(3.1 I think) but could probably be refreshed without too much effort.

geoffrey