Re: [Xen-devel] VM System Calls

  • To: "Frederic Beck" <frederic.beck@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "George Dunlap" <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:57:20 +0000
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 03:58:18 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=WaXWA54mUWlJ4reMM7lm1ZI7a6223zkC9je4mofeFfugc2LvjeRqIFniASrZS+RE02 zieS5/z/IcWWFGoHFK92pgAHwenrTYUKeOtNdkBO+vgJD8jdDMiG30oFhPOTPErHs8E4 WWpTjP9lwc9TU1VXo3WbIi3QWitLPW1R94UDo=

Do you mean system calls (guest process calls into guest kernels), or
hypercalls (guest kernel calls into the hypervisor)?

If you mean system calls, Xen is not involved; you need to take that
up with your guest OSes. :-)

If you mean hypercalls, and you want to know the number and timing of
them, you can use xentrace, or possibly xenmon.  Not much information
is gathered about hypercalls at this point beyond the timing and
hypercall number.  (I'm sure patches to address this would be
considered.)

Another avenue to look at is the Xen performance counters.  There is a
performance counter per hypercall; as I understand it, this would give
you total hypercalls over the system, not on a per-VM basis.

Hopefully that will give you enough to get started!

 -George