[Xen-devel] Re: [SR-IOV driver example 2/3] PF driver: integrate with SR-IOV core

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:58:59AM +0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:21:56PM +0800, Yu Zhao wrote:
> > +                   my_mac_addr[5] = (unsigned char)i;
> > +                   igb_set_vf_mac(netdev, i, my_mac_addr);
> > +                   igb_set_vf_vmolr(adapter, i);
> > +           }
> > +   } else
> > +           printk(KERN_INFO "SR-IOV is disabled\n");
>
> Is that really true?  (oh, use dev_info as well.)  What happens if you
> had called this with "5" and then later with "0", you never destroyed
> those existing virtual functions, yet the code does:
>
> > +   adapter->vfs_allocated_count = nr_virtfn;
>
> Which makes the driver think they are not present.  What happens when
> the driver later goes to shut down?  Are those resources freed up
> properly?

For now we hard-code the tx/rx queues allocation so this doesn't
matter. Eventually this will become dynamic allocation: when number
of VFs changes the corresponding resources need to be freed.

I'll put more comments here.

Thanks,
Yu