Re: [Xen-devel] Live Migration Across AMD and Intel

On Di, Dez 02, 2008 at 08:44:53 +1100, James Harper wrote:
> > On 2/12/08 09:05, "Igor Chubin" <igor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, All.
> > >
> > > Do I understand correctly:
> > >
> > > for the present it is possible to make domain live migration
> > > across two hosts, one of which is Intel-CPU-based and
> > > another is AMD-CPU-based?
> > >
> > > Does CPUID feature of Xen 3.3 permit live migration only
> > > between hosts with CPUs with different flags but
> > > produce by the same vendor?
> > >
> > > What is the difference (from domU perspective)
> > > between such CPUs, that prohibits live migration?
> >
> > Supported instructions differ (even at the basic level of SYSENTER
> versus
> > SYSCALL in some situations). Supported architectural MSRs differ too.
> >
> > Actually it could be forced to work sometimes, but it's not
> particularly
> > something we want to be claiming to support.
> >

> This appeared on slashdot a while ago...
> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/08/11/07/1535235.shtml. I'm not sure
> that their source is that reputable though. If you were emulating a 486
> it might work :)

Thank you Keir and James,

I know about this posting on slashdot.
Also here is related video [1] with a small presentation.

They claim there that live migration across AMD and Intel
works on KVM. As far as I understand now it works in
some particular (and rare) situations but it is not true in general.

Thank you.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhU6jJjpAQ

--
WBR, i.m.chubin