Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed

Todd Deshane wrote:
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ian Campbell noticed a missing TLB flush which was causing the USB
crashes/failures when booting the pvops dom0 kernel.  With that fixed,
enabling USB boots reliably and seems to work.

Its quite possible this will also improve matters with ATA/SATA controllers,
though I haven't tested it so far.

Anyway, its a significant fix and its worth trying the current pvops patch
queue again.  Please tell me what you find.

Looks like some progress has been made.

Two logs attached.

The first, with both CPUs enabled give a pretty hard crash.
(Maybe some indication of an SMP problem)

The second, with nosmp on the dom0 kernel command line
sitll doesn't fully boot, but look like it picks up the device, just
that it is picking it up late maybe.

Notice toward the end of boot that it goes to a busybox
shell:

"ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)"

Then ATA stuff that keeps trying...

Well, for a start, disable MSI for now (pci=nomsi on the kernel command line). I haven't done any MSI support yet.

In the nosmp boot, something seems amiss with interrupt routing. nomsi may help there as well, but I'll need to have a closer look at the code to work out what's really going wrong here. Hm, its probably:
[    0.000000] ACPI: Skipping IOAPIC probe due to 'noapic' option.

I guess nosmp implies noapic? Anyway, we don't do well without ioapics at present...