Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed

Ian Campbell wrote:
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 11:26 -0800, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Also noticed the dom0 builder doesn't (yet) boot bzImages, right?
Yeah.  It's on the todo list, but I don't think anyone's lined up to
do it yet.  Shouldn't be more than a couple of hours work for someone
with some expertise in the area (hint hint).

The main stumbling block is the lack of any existing decompression code
in the hypervisor. I've got half a patch somewhere which uses Linux's
inflate.c (it should be in an init section so it's thrown away after
boot) but it's not complete, it was a while ago so I don't even recall
how not-complete it was. I can dig it out if someone wants to pick it up
before I get back round to it.

Ah, right, it was relying on grub to do all the decompression?

An alternative option might be a multiboot shim which picks apart any
bzImage format modules in its input and passes the result down the chain
to the next module. e.g. your grub entry might look like:
        title bz-xen
                kernel unbzimage
                module xen.gz dom0_mem=foo
                module vmlinuz root=blah
                module initrd

That might be useful to have, but I don't think it would be easier to implement.