[Xen-devel] Re: HYPERVISOR_iret()

On 26/12/2008 14:30, "Swapna Shingre" <amuswaps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am trying to add a hypercall to replace the iret instruction in xenolinux, so that everytime control comes to xen when guest OS executes 'iret'.
I found that there already exists a hypercall HYPERVISOR_iret in xen.
  What is the exact functionality of HYPERVISOR_iret? In which cases is it called by the guest OS?

It can be used anytime the guest kernel would natively execute the IRET instruction. It’s stack frame is a bit different from that taken by the machine instruction, but it’s documented in xen/include/public/arch-x86/xen-x86_{32,64}.h

 -- Keir