RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly - theproblemisback again

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 22:15:11 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 03:16:01 -0800

> > Just added some more logging - domain_kill is never called either
until
> > I explicitly say 'xm destroy'
>
> That's expected. But you don't expect a domain to disappear until you
do
> 'xm
> destroy', unless you have on_{poweroff,destroy,crash} = destroy in
your
> domain config file. In which case the call to domain_kill() should be
made
> automatically by xend.
>
> Your problem is the domain doesn't disappear even after explicitly
doing
> 'xm
> destroy', right? That's the first thing to track down.

I just ran xend with 'xend start_trace' and wow... a lot of logging! :)

When I start another domain (secondary smtp server running linux), and
then issue a shutdown in it, nothing gets logged at all in the xend
trace. Should 'xend start_trace' log some activity if a domain dies, if
all was working well? (eg would xend be the process to do the cleanup
etc or does that all happen in xenstored?)

The domain just sticks in the 's' state until I 'xm destroy' it, then it
disappears from 'xm list' but is still using resources in 'xm debug q'.

James