[Xen-devel] RE: Xenheap disappearance: (was: xen_phys_start for 32b)

> >> Xenheap will disappear entirely on x86/64 in future. So long
> >> term is that
> >> i386 and x86/64 are actually to diverge significantly in this area.
> >
> > What's the ETA on this?  I've got a big patch in preparation built
> > on 3.3. that does gymnastics to get around xenheap limitations
> > and have been holding off updating it to unstable, hoping for
> > this xenheap change (to avoid re-re-duplicating the wheel).
>
> How difficult has it been to work around? Is it just pointing
> xmalloc() at
> the domheap instead of xenheap?

Not difficult.  I just do a lot of dynamic memory allocation in
my patch and those kinds of problems can be difficult to track
down, so I was hoping to avoid changing the interface twice.

I previously posted the patch I am currently using here:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-08/msg01142.html

However, after thinking on this a bit, I'm thinking I may just
change all my code to just use domheap allocation and restrict
usage to just 64-bit hypervisors.  So unless you plan to rewrite
the domheap interface when xenheap-in-64-bit goes away (or unless
I'm told that 32-bit hypervisor support is a must), I guess I can
remove my dependency on xenheap-in-64-bit going away.

Dan