Re: [Xen-devel] Xen with dom0 pvops on ultra-recent "git tip" kernel on x86_64

Christophe Saout schrieb:
Hi Marc,

I am very excited to see that dom0 pvops is finally coming close to
working, so I wanted to give it a try.

>From the description it was not clear to me which kernel to chose as
base for the patches.hg, so I took the latest (that was ~ 2 weeks ago)
kernel on git.kernel.org I could find (post-2.6.28 git tip at that
point).
Just follow the instructions on this wiki page:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

You could also search the Archives of xen-devel beginning around November 2008 for more
informations...

Yes, I followed those instruction (or at least I believe I did).  It is
however not specific as to which kernel version from the "tip.git" to
use as base for applying the patches.  I mean, that is not really my
problem, I got everything applied and have a compiling kernel. It just
doesn't boot (or at least doesn't get as far as for instance Pasi and
his experiments).
hg update `cat patches/KERNEL_VERSION`

this line selects the right version to apply the patches...
Actually, I am not really interested in getting a working kernel (I know
that there are still some pieces missing), so this is purely academical
and for testing.  Since the patches are supposed to be merged soon (at
least I got the impression that was the plan) I though I was going to
join the testing effort.  And at this point they are supposed to sort of
work on any bleeding edge kernel, right?  So I took one.

I could have gone back in the history and take something around
2.6.28-rc8 (which seemed to have worked for others), but then they were
using x86_32 and I am testing x86_64, if I see correctly.  So my
question was mostly if this had seen some testing at all, is supposed to
work, and if it is, did I miss something.  In any case, this is the
result of my testing. :-)

I also forward-ported a few things to the latest version a few hours
ago, including some changes in xen-iommu.c to follow the dma_ops merging
thing in the tip head.

I managed to get the native XEN port for 2.6.27 from the other hg
booting on my notebook, I'll try to see if my pvops kernel works as
DomU.

Cheers,
        Christophe