[Xen-devel] Re: [Xense-devel] Question about XSM-ACM XSM-FLASK differences

ACM and FLASK are security modules under the XSM framework.  Only XSM-FLASK
is based on the Flask architecture.  Both modules implement type enforcement
but differ in the granularity of the enforcement.

XSM-ACM(sHype) is described in the open literature,

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/5FF6B8DE618BCF30852
570230052518A/$File/rc23629.pdf

and

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/265C8E3A6F95CA8D852
56FA1005CBF0F/$File/rc23511.pdf

XSM-FLASK is based on the same security architecture (Flask) and goals as
SELinux, which is described in the open literature,

http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/selinux/papers/module.pdf

and

http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/selinux/papers/slinux.pdf

The scope for XSM-FLASK is limited to Xen.  The XSM-FLASK module implements
a separate and distinct security server from SELinux.  The subjects,
objects, and permissions described in the XSM-FLASK policy are relevant only
to Xen.  There is no functional dependency between XSM-FLASK and SELinux
guests.  However, one uses the SELinux tools and policy grammar to construct
and analyze XSM-FLASK policies.

In a system running an SELinux guest and an XSM-FLASK enabled hypervisor,
there are two security servers.  One security server is in the SELinux
guest.  The other security server is in the XSM-FLASK enabled hypervisor.
Each security server is loaded with a policy that is relevant only to the
SELinux guest or XSM-Flask enabled hypervisor, respectively.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

George S. Coker, II <gscoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>