Re: [Xen-devel] Xen/pv_ops features/patches for 2.6.29? (updating wiki)

Nakajima, Jun wrote:
I noticed that the changes like
        if (xen_initial_domain())

For example,
static inline unsigned int io_apic_read(unsigned int apic, unsigned int reg)
{
        struct io_apic __iomem *io_apic;

        if (xen_initial_domain())
                return xen_io_apic_read(apic, reg);

        io_apic = io_apic_base(apic);
        writel(reg, &io_apic->index);
        return readl(&io_apic->data);
}

Do you think those need to be wrapped by pv_ops? Probably it's better to
replace such functions (e.g. io_apic_read/write) with Xen-specific ones, rather
than adding hooks.

That's been a point of contention. Originally I had some io_apic_ops to do that, but I got pushback. The current patch is more to make a point than something I'd expect to be upstreamed (but who knows?). It isn't actually too bad this way, because xen_initial_domain() compiles down to a constant 0 if CONFIG_XEN_DOM0 is disabled, and its just a test of a variable if its enabled.