Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:03:28PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Simon Horman writes ("[rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the
> unit for passthrough"):
> > This series starts of with servaral cleanup patches.
>
> Many of these patches are cosmetic or cleanup changes to code which is
> identical in upstream qemu and in qemu-xen-unstable.  These are not
> really things which I want to commit directly into the Xen tree; we
> try to minimise the differences between the Xen qemu and upstream.
>
> If you would like to clean up the upstream qemu code then by all means
> submit your changes to the qemu-devel mailing list as patches against
> upstream qemu.  I'd be happy to give you some pointers (feel free to
> email me privately) and engage with you on the qemu-devel list.  If
> your changes are accepted by upstream we'll get them in due course,
> when I merge.
>
> If you do consider submitting upstream you might consider lumping your
> changes together rather more, so that a single patch covers each set
> of similar changes to different files appears.

Thanks for the clarification, I will contact you off-list.

> > The meat of the changes start with the patch
> > "ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough"
>
> I'd be interested to hear the opinions on this proposal of other
> developers of the passthrough support.

Thanks. These later patches are still somewhat work in progress,
so I am very interested on hearing people's ideas on what they
should look like.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K., Sydney, Australia Satellite Office