Re: [Xen-devel] Tracebacks from dom0 pvops changeset 2342

Nakajima, Jun wrote:
Looks like it's the mod_l1_entry() called by do_update_va_mapping(),
and the guest stack shows (by vcpu_show_execution_state() that I
added) it's going back to xen_mc_flush(). As long as I ignore the
MEM_LOG message, it boots up to the login prompt.

Odd.  What's the backtrace beyond that?

This is coming from remap_pte_range() in dom0, which calls set_pte_at(),
calling MULTI_update_va_mapping(). Looks like pteval is 0xfffff7fffffff237. As
far as I checked the code, the prot has the NX bit :-), and pfn looked normal
there:
        pte_mkspecial(pfn_pte(pfn, prot)

Hm, this is (I guess) intending to map machine physical memory. If it doesn't have _PAGE_IOMAP set in the pte, then we'll try to do a pfn->mfn conversion, which won't work well if the pte doesn't have a pfn to start with.

I've just been trying to get drm doing something sensible, so I've made some fixes in this area. Have a look at today's lot of xen/dom0/hackery changesets.

One thing that puzzles me is that MC_DEBUG is 1 in multicalls.c, but
I don't see any complaints from dom0. Is the following MC_DEBUG working?
Or I may be looking at a wrong stack.

Yes, I've noticed that sometimes multicalls seem not to report
detectable errors.  I haven't looked into see what's really going on.

I confirmed that the multicalls were failing in Xen (but the result was not
propagated to the caller).

Keir, do you know anything about this? It seems that multicalls are not reliably reporting errors.