Re: [Xen-devel] domain id number on xen unstable

  • To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 14:32:09 +0000
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 07:32:34 -0700

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/03/2009 19:20, "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Has anybody noticed that the domain id number seems to increment more
>> than usual on xen unstable? the first domU that I start gets id 2,
>> after a reboot its id 4, etc etc.
>>
>> I am also having some problems with "xm create" taking a very long
>> time and sometimes failing because devices are still in use or
>> "hotplug scripts are not responding", where I am using file backed
>> block devices the loop device is sometimes left connected after the
>> domain is shutdown, i have to losetup -d to remove it before i can
>> start the domain again.
>
> Allocation should still eb sequential. Maybe xend is taking two goes to
> start a domain.
>
>  -- Keir

The very first domain I create gets ID=2:

xm create win2008.cfg
Using config file "./win2008.cfg".
Started domain win2008 (id=2)

Should have id 1.

I've also noticed that if i shutdown the domain cleanly (ie from
inside windows) then I can start it again without any problems, but if
i have to use xm destroy then when I next try to start the domain the
xm process hangs, if I ctrl+c the xm process the domain is listed and
paused, I can unpause it and it seems to work ok.

xenstore-ls shows that some of the domain devices etc are not removed,
should they be when it is destroyed?

Andy