Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Interdomain Semaphore

On 09/03/2009 21:25, "Timothy Hayes" <hayesti@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm working with some data that's been mapped into two virtual machine address
> spaces (this is kernel module code). Right now if I try to manipulate the data
> there are race conditions so naturally I need a constraint like a mutex or a
> semaphore. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm guessing the Linux kernel semaphore
> isn't going to work as expected since it puts a process to sleep for a wait()
> call and wakes a process up for the signal() call. The domain in question
> won't be the same domain that created the process.
>
> I'm wondering if there is an interdomain semaphore for Xen; maybe someone has
> written one already? Maybe there are some "best practices" when it comes to
> something like this. Any tips would be really appreciated.

If you already have shared memory between two domains, it would be easy to
implement a spinlock, right? If you want a sleeping semaphore then in
addition you need an inter-domain event channel. You can block on that and
the 'other end' can wake you by pinging you on it.

 -- Keir