Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Patch 1/3]RAS(Part II)--Intel MCA enalbing in XEN

On Friday 20 March 2009 10:23:58 Jiang, Yunhong wrote:
> xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote:
> > Seconded.
> >
> > With Wei Huangs 1GB patch support, one question comes to my mind
> > regarding the page offline support / recovery action:
> >
> > How does the interface deal with different page sizes ?
> > IMO we should only offline the smallest possible unit of the
> > page in error,
> > which is 4KB. So larger pages (2MB, 1GB) must be splitted in that case.
> >
> > Christoph
>
> Christoph, I think this is two story. How to offline a page is a specific
> recover action method, instead of the MCA itself. Or I missed anything?

You're right here.

> For guest owned page offline caused by #MC, Xen can't do anything but mark
> it (the page frame, 4k) pending, so that when it is freed, it will not be
> accessed anymore.

Once Xen supports page-relocation, it can re-map the guest page in error
with a new one on the fly. For HVM guests w/o PV drivers, this should work.
Need some thinking how that should work for PV guests and HVM guests with
PV drivers.