Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6.29-rc7 pv_ops dom0 BUG / unable to handle kernel paging request

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:10:10AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >Ok. I'll try that later.. I'll be away for 1,5 weeks (going to a
> >vacation), so can't try right now.
> >
> >One difference just came to my mind.. when booted on baremetal, whole 2G of
> >ram is available.. when booted as dom0 I've limited dom0 memory to 1G.
> >

> That shouldn't be necessary any more.

Ok. I'm just used to always limiting dom0 memory to avoid ballooning :)

> >I guess I should try with the same amount of memory available for both
> >dom0 and baremetal.
> >

> I would expect the results to be the same, though the xen case might
> fail more readily.

Baremetal is not failing.. ie. I don't see this BUG when I run the same
kernel on baremetal.

> Also, do you see this problem before you've started any other domains?
> Or does it only happen once you've run a domU (or only while a domU is
> running)?

I'm not running any other domains.. Only dom0 is running.

Steps to reproduce this BUG on my pv_ops dom0 testbox:

1) Reboot the box to pv_ops dom0 kernel
2) Login to dom0 via ssh
3) Start kernel compilation on dom0 (make bzImage && make modules)
4) Wait some minutes and pv_ops dom0 kernel BUGs

So no other domains has been or is running when this happens..

I'll try disabling CONFIG_HIGHPTE now, and see if that makes any difference.

-- Pasi