RE: [Xen-devel] KXen preview now available

> Sorry but it seems my question is not so clear. I am asking about KXen
> as the hypervisor, but not about guest support.
>
> I should restate my question as: Currently the hypervisor for Windows
> OS is available for download (as XP/Vista/7 are supported). How about
> the (KXen) hypervisor for Linux? When is it available? And will that
> target upstream, and use virtops? And is there any significant
> difference with KVM?

Porting kxen to a linux host wouldn't be hard, but it's not clear it's worth
the effort: there isn't a huge installed base of linux desktops that would
benefit from having a kernel module that adds type-2 virtualization
capabilities, and KVM serves the hosted linux virtualization market already. I
guess someone could do just to embarrass KVM for performance and features :-)

Windows and Mac OSX are the obvious host OSes to concentrate on. I think
there's real value in being able to target the same xen code base to both true
bare metal type-1 and type-2 hosted use cases -- it yields a lot of development
efficiency and gets xen into places where deploying a type-1 might be tricky
e.g. user-owned laptops with existing OS installs.

Ian