Re: [Xen-devel] Re: NX related build failure in latest pv_ops dom0 hackery tree

Christophe Saout wrote:
Ok, you are right.  The hackery kernel sees a different issue.  The AHCI
setup actually works and hard disks are detected, but then it crashes in
my initrd:

Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 5868k
init[1] general protection ip:ffffe42f sp:ffc5cfa4 error:0

(the init process is a bash in this case)

Note that this probably has to do with the fact that my initrd is 32 bit
and hence runs in 32 bit compat mode (I was just to lazy to make me a
new one when I initially bought my first 64 machine).

The funny thing is that I also see this when running the kernel under
qemu but just assumed a problem in qemu and never investigated.  qemu is
emulating an AMD CPU I think, so maybe it's something related to
sysenter vs. syscall or something. (?)  Because 32 bit compat mode under
XEN works on my Intel notebook.

Yes, likely. There's an outstanding bug in 32-bit compat on AMD systems, but I haven't got around to setting up a system to repro+debug on. The workaround is vdso32=0 on the kernel command line.

So I guess if I redo the initramfs as 64 bit the hackery kernel would
boot.  Maybe someone else who has the kernel running on an AMD machine
can test 32 bit compat mode to confirm this observation?

Ok, back to the AHCI issue, test push2/xen/dom0/master is ongoing.

Thanks,