RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Scheduler work, part 1: High-level goals and interface.

> But if this is a big issue, you can always disable HT, as
> lots of people did the last time around.

That would be a shame because HT will almost certainly
provide SOME performance benefit MOST of the time.

After pondering a bit, I guess I am arguing that once
processors have HT, Turboboost, and power management,
scheduling as a discipline has to move from the realm
of discrete to the realm of continuous.  A "second of
CPU" no longer has any real meaning when the value
of "a CPU" varies across time and workload.  (I suppose
due to shared cache effects and bus contention, this has
probably always been the case, but to a less obvious
degree.)

> The only way to know is by measurement, ideally with
> some specific performance counter which tells you
> what went on in that last timeslice.

Indeed.  Even if it is impossible to predict the
throughput of a specific workload on a specific CPU,
it sure would be nice if we could at least roughly
measure the past.

Processor architects take note! ;-)