Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [GIT PULL] xen /proc/mtrr implementation

* Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> | The change of MTRR's on _any_ of the guest CPUs in a dom0 context
>> | should immediately be refected on all CPUs. Assymetric MTRR
>> | settings are madness.
>
> Exactly.  And thats why it is pointless to let the dom0 kernel
> write the mtrr msrs on more than one cpu.

How does this negate my claim that the Linux kernel needs no
modifications? (which i think your point is - let me know if you
have some other point here.)

the Xen hypervisor can simply repeat all requests (i.e. not care at
all about the fact that a guest does these modifications on all CPUs
it sees), or realize that the modification has already been done and
skip it. This is in no way a performance sensitive codepath - mtrrs
are only modified in init sequences - and setting mtrrs is slow and
globally serialized to begin with.

>>> Works only in case the CPU has PAT support.
>>
>> Which specific CPU without PAT support do you worry about?
>
> For example: I have a Notebook here, with MTRR and without PAT
> according to the boot log.  "Pentium III (Coppermine)" says
> /proc/cpuinfo.

That's a really old CPU, but even Coppermine has PAT support in the
CPU. You need to go back to things like P5 200 MHz CPUs to find
PAT-less CPUs.

On the Linux side it's easy to enable it (and _such_ a patch would
make sense indeed) - it's just that nobody has yet gone through the
effort of testing and validating the PAT code on that CPU. If you
care enough, you can do it, send a patch and ping the Intel folks
about it.

Once the issues are framed correctly, Linux is helped for real.

        Ingo