[Xen-devel] Re: [GIT PULL] xen /proc/mtrr implementation

* Ingo Molnar (mingo@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> Here Xen invades an already fragile piece of upstream code
> (/proc/mtrr) that is obsolete and on the way out. If you want a
> solution you should add PAT support to Xen and you should use recent
> upstream kernels. Or you should emulate /proc/mtrr in _Xen the
> hypervisor_, if you really care that much - without increasing the
> amount of crap in Linux.

Could you be specific re: technical issues?  I see in the general mtrr
impact has one oddity:

+int __init common_num_var_ranges
+static int __init xen_num_var_ranges(void);
+.num_var_ranges    =

A bit unusual to have an __init function in an ops table.  Albeit safe in
this case.  Could slightly minimize impact by keeping setup_num_var_ranges
and have it do:

        if (mtrr_if->num_var_ranges)
                num_var_ranges = mtrr_if->num_var_ranges();
        else
                num_var_ranges = common_num_var_ranges;

Similarly, could do a simple inline stub to remove the extra ifdef.

+#ifdef CONFIG_XEN_DOM0
+               xen_init_mtrr();
+#endif

But those are pretty minor.  I think the changes proposed are pretty
small and reasonable to make existing /proc/mtrr usable in Xen dom0
(different discussion of when to formally deprecate /proc/mtrr).

thanks,
-chris