Re: [Xen-devel] save image file format? and [RFC] tmem save/restore/migrate

  • To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gianluca Guida <gianluca.guida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:28:32 +0200
  • Cc: Gianluca Guida <glguida@xxxxxxxxx>, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Devel \(E-mail\)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:28:58 -0700

Hello,

xen-devel calling, of course during days off! :-)

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Tim Deegan<Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> More seriously, I don't think it gets us enough real advantage to
> comensate for its disadvantages: it's an ad-hoc, evolved, implicitly
> defined format, which is the sort of thing we're trying to avoid; It
> encourages further aggregation of unrelated dom0 tools into qemu (I
> understand that some people see that as a good thing, but I don't); and
> it's tied down to the needs and history of qemu, which are not entirely
> aligned with Xen's.
>
> Anyway, I think we've probably made our positions clear; Gianluca will
> presumably have his own ideas.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the subject!

I admit I am not actually 'passionate' about file formats, but I do
agree with those who said that using *qemu* to save a VM is ugly. I
personally think that it would be yet another dangerous precedent for
the idea that qemu should be used for stuff which are completely
unrelated with hardware virtualization.

As for the file formats, I think ELF idea is cute: modular,
extendible, versioned, and easily writable by libelf.

Let me know if you have further comments, and please note that I am
just starting to work on a general overhaul of save/restore code, so
it will take a while for me to get some code out of this talk.

Thanks,
Gianluca

--
It was a type of people I did not know, I found them very strange and
they did not inspire confidence at all. Later I learned that I had been