[Xen-devel] hvc0 xvc0 "compatibility"?

I have a (RHEL5) guest that I alternate booting with a 2.6.18-xen
kernel and an upstream kernel.

Upstream uses hvc0 for the console and 2.6.18-xen uses xvc0.  To
switch between them, I manually modify /etc/inittab.  If I
forget to do this, I get no login prompt and have to destroy
the domain, restart selecting the other kernel, etc.

Do I recall a patch that allows one of these kernels to
handle both hvc0 and xvc0?  That would make my life easier.
Or is this something that can be done in userland?

Thanks,
Dan