Re: [Xen-devel] RE: intel core2 full virtualized performance counters

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:51:01 +0200
  • Cc: "Shan, Haitao" <haitao.shan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 03:51:38 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:Cc: References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id; b=JVGO6c6ou9ACaxjYN9QbBvUCKRVwIJnGdwY2VIKUFzS3YPNn9k8DRh93 xARv3DZl/G8JxDnVZoHhzATW5kpnY64Z4MoE8qV1I7RnfZEWb8izFICHP pfDyTmVBH9aeBG4wtMiEAB3Dgwc0gKqUY9DCby0uxrNSJyO1s/dRw4yvl JiJ8zzCxxc2N9wJ/ac1A9bQxZ+CC82mKkyUZjBDI7SzuAl5WM9pEec6Sb 38zxYCk/NIacVw0uK6pZYrt+kY3tN;

> Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > i played around with the full virtualized performance counters (vpmu
> > stuff) on intel core2 processors in a HVM guest.
> > I got something to work on the processor family=6 and model=15. But
> > with newer processors (model=26 -> E5520 and model=29 -> X7460)
> > nothing happens.
> > I searched a little bit in the sources and found in vpmu_initialise()
> > that only for model 15 and 23 the  vpmu->arch_vpmu_ops gets
> > initialized.
> > Is this missing or do I something wrong? Maybe anybody is working on
> > this? Thanks in advance for all hints!
> >
> > Dietmar.
>
> The performance monitor facilities differ across CPU models. At the time
> vpmu is developed, model 15 and model 23 are the only two  models that are
> supported. The vpmu is designed to work with model-specific hanlding code.
> But actually no one adds new support for newer generation of CPUs.

This is a little bit surprising for me because I thought Intel did this for
using their performance analyzer software such as vtune in HVM guest.

> I do not know how much differences between Core 2 PMU and Core i7. If you
> only collect performance data using architectural performance counters and
> events, I think it would be easy for you to hack the code in
> vpmu_initialize a bit to get it work.

Yes I did this and it works. Thanks.

Dietmar.