[Xen-devel] RE: [RFC] transcendent memory for Linux

Yes, I think this would work nicely as a use case for tmem.

As Avi points out, you could do this with memory defragmentation,
but if you know in advance that you will be frequently
powering on and off a bank of RAM, you could put only
ephemeral memory into it (enforced by a kernel policy and
the tmem API), then defragmentation (and compression towards
lower addresses) would not be necessary, and you could power
off a bank with no loss of data.

One issue though: I would guess that copying pages of memory
could be very slow in an inexpensive embedded processor.

Dan