Re: [Xen-devel] Possible bug, gplpv / pv-netdev

  • To: Bart Van Kerckhove <bart@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:17:59 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:18:28 -0700

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Bart Van Kerckhove<bart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while, and decided to
> mail in for some pointers, since I'm stuck.
>
> I'm running xen3.4.0 , and while using windows 2003 x64 and GPLPV (up to
> 0.10.0.86) - I keep running into the following kernel error message in dom0:
>
> [ 9266.293979] unregister_netdevice: waiting for vif31.0 to become free.
> Usage count = 2
> [ 9276.433986] unregister_netdevice: waiting for vif31.0 to become free.
> Usage count = 2
>
> This results in total deadlock as far as accessing interfaces goes, as well
> as xend.
> Only a reboot can get me out of this.
> I can reproduce this problem easily: boot up windows with GPLPV, disable the
> (pv) network interface in windows, enable it again, then disable it again.
> At this point, windows should hang - destroy the VM and this error pops up.

I ran into a similar problem last week while testing different
versions of the gplpv xennet driver, I was able to update the driver
once, but the second attempt never finished, eventually I got a
timeout message in windows but when I tried to reboot the system
became unresponsive and I had to destroy the hvm.

Its easy to replicate, just keep switching the xennet driver between
two versions.

Sounds like it could be the same bug..

Andy