Re: [Xen-devel] Cpu pools discussion

  • To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:25:37 +0200
  • Cc: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>, Zhigang Wang <zhigang.x.wang@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:26:09 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:Organization: User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:CC:Subject:References: In-Reply-To:X-Enigmail-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KrEy6Vru8dUHx9gtta276eRCzcm6j3KLr5SWVqq13eN61tkztVcv2Vgi 1Yl6Ovtvol2ZQq5WWgRHpbs83qRxvafcA+cFbe7DODSRwre5BiEp1sMiO u2hrzmVvjHvLtdzrzxVR2tDLCNfHpaA0fMVp+Y8DDWamuCcBqbOxKJrBy 1W11bO+DPg2rqA72CB/vn6CsHw2yf3y2ZUQaAStkCn2oQIHZsyF/SpPrw gcHpdu8eDe3uXKwntsbjlVeo4D84H;

Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 30/07/2009 13:51, "Juergen Gross" <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> I think especially if cpupools are added into the mix then this becomes more
>>> attractive than the current approach. The other alternative is to modify the
>>> two existing problematic callers to work okay from softirq context (or not
>>> need continue_hypercall_on_cpu() at all, which might be possible at least in
>>> the case of CPU hotplug). I would be undecided between these two just now --
>>> it depends on how easily those two callers can be fixed up.
>> I'll try to set up a patch to add a hypervisor domain. Regarding all the
>> problems I got with switching cpus between pools (avoid running on the cpu to
>> be switched etc.) this solution could make life much easier.
>
> I'm inclined actually to think a hypervisor domain is not necessary, and we
> can get by with softirqs. I actually think cpu offline can be reimplemented
> without softirqs or continue_hypercall_on_cpu(), and I would imagine cpupool
> changes then could use a similar technique. I will take a look at that, and
> you can take your cues from it if I find an elegant solution along those
> lines.

Thanks, that's great!

Juergen

--
Juergen Gross                 Principal Developer Operating Systems
TSP ES&S SWE OS6                       Telephone: +49 (0) 89 636 47950