Re: [Xen-devel] Vt-d not working with 3.4.1

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:10:47PM +0800, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My hardware configuration is as follows:
>
> Intel Desktop Board DQ45CB
> BIOS Flashed from version 0063 to 0093
> Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300
> PCI Express x16 Graphics card NVIDIA chipset
> 8 GB DDR2-800
>
> My software configuration is as follows:
>
> Fedora 11 64-bit host operating system
> Jeremy's pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.30 rc3 and 2.6.31 rc6
> Xen 3.4.1 testing
>
> When I tried to download and compile Jeremy's pv-ops dom0 kernel, bzImage
> kernel image is compiled successfully for both 2.6.30 rc3 and 2.6.31 rc6.
>
> However, when I tried to boot using bzImage kernel image, it complains of a
> kernel panic on CPU0.
>
> (XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
> (XEN) elf_init: not an ELF binary
>
> I googled around and saw a posting saying to use vmlinux kernel image and
> not the bzImage kernel image.

I'm using arch/x86/boot/bzImage from pv_ops dom0 kernel tree as dom0 kernel,
and it works without problems.

Are you using LZMA compression for the kernel? Maybe that's the problem..

> So I tried to use vmlinux in arch/x86/boot/compressed to boot but it did not
> work.

Earlier when Xen didn't support bzImage yet, I used "vmlinux" from the top
directory of kernel tree. It's huge, but you can gzip it to make it a bit
smaller.

Xen 3.4.x supports bzImage dom0 kernels.

> Not disheartened, I proceeded to try vmlinux.bin as my kernel image.
>
> Now I can successfully boot up the Xen Dom 0 pv-ops kernel, I can see Domain
> 0 using "xm list" and I can see the Ethernet bridge created and I can also
> surf the internet using a text based browser.
>
> However, I cannot start X server. It crashed. The system complains about
> some libraries.
>
> Any idea what goes wrong?

Read "dmesg" and X log.

-- Pasi