Re: [Xen-devel] capturing windows crash dumps

> > > The memory in question could be anything from 64kb (minidump) to the
> > > size of DomU memory (full dump) or somewhere inbetween (kernel
> dump).
> > > I'm normally just interested in the kernel dump which is normally a
> much
> > > more respectable size, but still not the size of memory you can
> easily
> > > find when the system has gone belly up.
> >
> > Hmm, okay. Could you dump it out over the emulated serial line?
> >

> The more I look into it the less fond I get of this idea... I already
> use the serial line for other things.

Not being familiar with Windows dumps, but only with Linux kdump (which is
basically
a mini-Linux distro running in 64MB - that includes the initrd.img and + RAM
space)
which can dump the entire memory on to whatever you want (NFS, disk, USB, etc).

How does Windows natively/normally do its dump? Is it just dumping the entire
memory space
on the local disk? Or do you have to set special flags to do so from the driver?