Re: [Xen-devel] write_tsc in a PV domain?

> No, I don't think this is true.  An enterprise app that binds processes
> to fixed physical processors on a physical machine can make
> assumptions about the results of rdtsc that aren't valid when
> the vcpus can skip between pcpus.  Further, like Linux itself,

They rarely make the right assumptions

> applications may test assumptions about tsc at startup that are
> assumed to remain valid for the life of the app, which is
> perfectly reasonable on a physical machine

No it isn't because of things like suspend/resume.

> True, but any app that tries to run on a NUMA machine without
> being aware of the idiosyncracies of a NUMA machine probably
> has worse problems to deal with than tsc sync.  Further, there

Disagree - this is true if your NUMA factor is large but quite a few
machines today are "vaguely NUMA" - the NUMA factor is low enough the app
doesn't need to care. Anyway you don't need NUMA to see TSC skew between
cores.