Re: [Xen-devel] Video Presentation on PCI Express x16 VGA Pass Through to Xen-based Windows XP Home Edition HVM Virtual Machine

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 03:33:57AM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> Dear Pasi,
>
> No, I have not tried it yet. I have 8 GB of memory on my computer.
>
> What does dom0_mem parameter do?
>
> If I set dom0_mem, does it mean I cannot access more than 4 GB of memory
> even though I have 8 GB of memory?

Yes.

It limits the memory dom0 will have. The rest of the memory is available
for other virtual machines (ie. "xm info" lists it as free memory).

If you don't limit dom0 memory then every time you create a guest dom0
memory needs to be ballooned down to be able to give it to the new guest.

So it's better to always have dom0_mem specified, so that dom0 kernel
settings don't get confused when it gets ballooned much more down than
what it had available at boot time.

Example grub.conf entry:

kernel        /boot/xen-3.4.gz dom0_mem=1024M

This allocates 1024 MB of memory for dom0, and the rest is free for
other domains to use.

There is a bug in the recent pv_ops dom0 kernel that causes problems if
dom0 has >4096 MB of memory.

So please try to limit your dom0 memory, it might fix the USB problems.

-- Pasi