Re: [Xen-devel] Nvidia, Xen, and Vt-d

Tim Moore wrote:
Hi Michael,

I have found that the lspci output changes once you have successfully loaded a
driver against it.

In both cases, when used by pci-stub/pciback in DomU or starting X on Dom0 will make the NV card appear differently in the lspci output.
I would try and use the 2.6.18 kernel with the shipped "nv" X driver - I have found this
combination to be the most compatible. In the xen-unstable tree, run "make
linux-2.6-xen0-build" (from memory).

So far I have only had success with passing through the Primary display
adapter, I can`t get my secondary to work.. (I dont think it`s anything to do
with the models of card, more that the secondary passthru doesnt work..)

My Pri = GTX260 (512mb+sharedmem=864mb)
Sec: 9500 GT (512mb)

The main complication and issue that needs to be overcome is the support for
FLR. Without this PCIe capability, the GPU cannot be reset after the DomU has
initialised it. I have to perform a hard-reset of Dom0 for GPU Passthrough to
work a second time.

Tim
Just as a follow up to this. I decided before I go back to 2.6.18, to try the open source "nv" driver instead of the proprietary ones. It started up the Xserver just fine, although performance for glxgears dropped through the floor. <100 fps on a GTX 295 with an i7 3.3Ghz processor ouch. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm going to try working with Nvidia to see if I can get them to help identify the problem, but I don't expect to get very far with that. Clearly, there is a problem with how they are accessing the card.

---Michael J Coss