Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Signature == "NovellShimHv" ???

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:41:41AM +1000, James Harper wrote:

> > On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:24:43AM +1000, James Harper wrote:
> > > A user of GPLPV is reporting a problem with the drivers on Windows
> 2008,
> > > and it appears that GPLPV is finding a signature of 'NovellShimHv'
> > > instead of 'XenVMMXenVMM'.
> > >
> > > Can anyone suggest a reason for this?
> >
> > SLES10 SP2 Xen has the code for this. It is basically an early version
> of the
> > Veridian interface.
>
> Ah. Hmmm. So does that mean that PV drivers on HVM domains (windows or
> Linux) aren't going to work at all? Should I check for both

I don't think you need to worry about Linux. The shim enabled extra
functionality
so that under Windows 2008 (and further) you wouldn't hit the BSOD watchdog
failure. I don't think any extra functionaly was provided besides that.

> 'NovellShimHv' and 'XenVMMXenVMM'? I notice that the unmodified drivers
> tree under xen doesn't check for this, and neither does hvmloader.

Correct. SLES version to my recollection never made it to Xen-devel.