[Xen-devel] RE: Xen: Hybrid extension patchset for hypervisor

Keir Fraser wrote on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 at 07:04:10:

> On 16/09/2009 10:08, "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The principle is okay I guess. These changes would have to be trickled
>> in with a  really good explanation and justification for each one. For
>> example, I'm not clear why the enable-hybrid hypercall is needed. Why
>> not just provide access to evtchn and timer hypercalls always, and
>> guest sues them if it is capable of it? I'm also not sure why PV timer
>> events get routed to irq0 -- why not via an event channel as usual, now
>> that you are enabling HVM guests to use the evtchn subsystem? What's a
>> hybrid gnttab, and why does it need an explciit reserved e820 region?
>> And so on.
>>
>> The general principle of these patches seems to be to create a set of
>> individual, and perhaps largely independent,
>> accelerations/enlightenments to the HVM interface. I can at least agree
>> with and support that aim.
>  By the way, if your intention is to speed up 64-bit guest performance,
> then I think you should compare with running a full PV guest in a VMCS
> container. That is runs in VMX non-root mode but still retains the usual
> full-PV interfaces. I think that would be no more code than you are
> proposing here, and would avoid scattering a bunch more code around the
> guest OS, to which there is bound to be resistance.

Do you mean running the existing 64-bit PV kernel binaries in a VMCS container?

Based on our data, what we would want in PV 64-bit guests are, fundamentally:
- have the kernel run in ring 0 (so that it can regain the performance
enhancements)
- use hardware-based MMU virtualization (e.g. EPT-based) if present

>  -- Keir

Jun
___
Intel Open Source Technology Center