RE: [Xen-devel] rdtscP and xen (and maybe the app-tsc answer I've been looking for)

>>> Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> 18.09.09 22:27 >>>
>Guest app must have some capability of getting 64-bit
>pvclock parameters directly from Xen without OS changes,
>e.g. emulated userland wrmsr, userland hypercall,
>or userland mapped shared page.  (This will be done
>rarely so need not be fast! But it does create
>a new userland<->Xen ABI that must be kept compatible.)

Are you sure this will indeed be infrequent enough? On my supposedly
constant-TSC AMD box, I see Xen quite frequently apply small error
correction factors to keep TSC from running ahead of HPET/PMTIMER.

>I think this will work even for a NUMA machine
>provided Xen always schedules all the vcpus
>for one guest on pcpus in the same NUMA node,
>and increments the version number when
>the guest is rescheduled from one NUMA node to
>another (assuming TSC on each node is reliable).

I think this is an improper assumption: Any guest with more vCPU-s than
there are pCPU-s on a single node will likely benefit from being run on
two (or more) nodes (compared to its vCPU-s competing amongst
themselves for pCPU-s on a single node).

Jan