[Xen-devel] RE: another regression from IRQ handling changes

Jan Beulich wrote:
> An issue I had fixed a little while before your changes now appears to
> exist again (can't actively verify it due to lack of access to a
> sufficiently big system): While we now can handle more than 192
> interrupt sources,
> those again are confined to the first 256 IO-APIC pins. We know,
> however, that there are systems with well over 300 pins (most of which
> are typically unused, and hence being able to "only" handle 192
> interrupt sources doesn't really present a problem on these systems.
>
> Clearly, handling of more than 256 (non-MSI) interrupt sources cannot
> be done without a kernel side change, since there needs to be a
> replacement for the 8-bit vector information conveyed through the
> kernel writes to the IO-APIC redirection table entries. However, up to
> 256 interrupt sources could easily be handled without kernel side
> change, by making PHYSDEVOP_alloc_irq_vector return a fake vector
> (rather than the unmodified irq that got passed in).

Jan,
   Are you sure it worked well with more than 256 pins before my IRQ changes ?
You may refer to dom0's code(linux-2.6.18.8-xen.hg) and the gsi irq number
shouldn't be bigger than 256 in any time.  You can say this is an old issue we
need to address through modifying some ABIs between dom0 and hypervisor rather
than saying this issue is introduced by the IRQ handling changes, I think.
That is to say, Xen never works with the big system with more than 256 pins of
ioapic at any time.
Xiantao