Re: [Xen-devel] Re: ATI radeon fails with "iommu=soft swiotlb=force" (seen on RV730/RV740 and RS780/RS800)

On 10/06/09 01:10, Jan Beulich wrote:

>> vmalloc_32 is a general problem.  The only clean way I can see to make
>> it work under Xen is to make sure all the pages in the DMA32 zone are
>> really under 4G in machine addresses.  But that doesn't scale very well
>>
> Why? Just adding a hook in vmalloc.c would do.

Yeah, but I'm a bit allergic to suggesting new hooks.

> Hmm, yes, but the more cumbersome an API is to use, the less likely it
> is that people would want to adopt using it (or that it would be mergable
> in the first place)).

It would need a somewhat detailed survey to work out how many drivers
would be affected, and some input from other arch/iommu people to see if
it is at all helpful to them.