[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen Performance

  • To: Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:58:44 -0700
  • Cc: xen <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:59:33 -0700

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am facing the same issue. Bridging (the default mode) is better and simple way for network set-up. But the strange thing in my case is i don't find this virbro while running ifconfig in my dom0. instead i have peth0 acting as vif for dom0.

Is there any issue with building xen with pv kernel, while using FC11 platform where virtualization is enabled? since i compiled and build xen using a platform where i have enabled virtualization at fc11 installation time.
McWilliams! i have tested domU <-> domU throughput using netperf-2.4.5 and got a throughput of 0.29Mbps. that is no doubt very poor. Marco observe the same throughput in this case and identified that its because Netperf use setitimer() to send packets at fixed rate. Sending packets at fixed rate is the cause of this poor throughput. I dont know yet how to improve it?

Regards,
Fasiha Ashraf

It isn't just tests like netperf... If you copy a file via rcp from DomU to Dom0 you will get two times the performance as from DomU to DomU. That's why i was wondering abotu his testing methodology. If you assign a nic to each DomU so the traffic leaves the physical machine, goes through a switch and comes back it's faster than DomU to DomU. There's been long discussions as to why. I've not re-run my tests with 3.4.1 so I don't know if that was fixed.

Grant McWilliams