Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: drop frontend support for relative pointer

Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 2009/10/12 Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I checked into the code and we force xenkb to use relative coordinates.
>>> We use that because in XCI the hardware mouse on the host is generally
>>> setup to send relative coordinates, and we do a 1 to 1 map for the
>>> mouse/keyboard

What if the physical pointer device uses absolute events?  Do you pass
those on 1:1, too?

>> Thanks for your help. ÂTo sum up:
>>

>> * The XCI backend advertizes absolute pointers (feature-abs-pointer set
>> Âin xenstore)
>>

> Yes.
>
>> * The frontend asks for it (request-abs-pointer set in xenstore)
>>
>> * Regardless, the XCI backend sends only relative coordinates (event
>> Âtype XENKBD_TYPE_POS).
>>
>> Correct?
>>
>> If yes, then this works more by accident than by design :)
>>

> Yep it does work, that is wrong in our code.
> I didn't know about this xenstore protocol when I hacked it up.
>
> Here is the nasty patch:
> http://git/git/xenclient/ioemu-pq.git/tree/master/fix-imobile-mouse

Broken link, please check.

>> By setting feature-abs-pointer, the backend offers absolute events.
>> Reneging on this offer after the frontend accepted it is a bug.
>>

> Yep, I belive there is a bug somewhere.
>
>> What now? ÂCould XCI upgrade to absolute? ÂIf not, could it at least
>> stop offering feature-abs-pointer?
>>
> I'll fix that inside our code.

If you want to pass on absolute events received from your physical
pointer device, then things become a bit more complicated.  You need to
offer feature-abs-pointer, obviously.  But if the frontend declines
(request-abs-pointer off), you can't pass on absolute events, you must
convert to relative.

> I don't really thing we could use absolute because we do graphic
> device pass through with PV guest and the resolution we have on the
> screen is completely decouple with the fb resolution.

I figure the real solution is to decouple the PV pointer/keyboard from
the PV framebuffer, so you can configure the pointer independently, and
don't have to drag a PV framebuffer along, just to get a PV
pointer/keyboard.