[Xen-devel] Strange error in domU after dom0 update

  • To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andreas Florath <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:47:17 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:47:15 -0700

Hello!

I'm currently running some domUs on some dom0s. Everything is Debian Lenny which comes with Xen-3.2.1 and kernel 2.6.26. The domUs are running without any problems. Now I want to use live migration - which does not really work with Debian Lenny as dom0. Pulled xen-unstable c/s 20346 with linux-2.6-pvops (2.6.31.4) and installed it on an extra box. But: it is not possible to start any of the known-to-run-very-well domUs on it. The domUs use a iSCSI based root file system. They connect to the iSCSI-target, start to boot - but at some (random) point during boot, they loose the iSCSI connection with a timeout and therefore stop running. WHY DOES THE BEHAVIOR OF A domU CHANGE WHEN THE dom0 IS EXCHANGED? Virtualization is IMHO exactly the abstraction layer which should hide such the dependency to any underlaying system. Yes - it is reproducible: started the domUs hundreds of times on Xen-3.2.1 boxes without any problems; tried to start the domUs on the xen-unstable system tens of times always with problem described above.

I'm really stuck with this. Any help, remark, question, idea is welcome!

Kind regards - Andreas