Re: [Xen-devel] Porting linux network driver to Xen

  • To: Kaushik Kumar Ram <kaushik@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: ravi kerur <rkerur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:18:50 -0800
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 13:19:46 -0800

Thanks kaushik, How does netfront/netback interact with this driver? I believe I need netback functionality running in dom0 and netfront running in domU's for the existing driver.  One of the documents has following explanation for Tx/Rx path.

"For transmit (TX) requests the driver domain(dom0) uses a hypercall to map the guest page(domU) into its address space before sending the request through the bridge. When the physical device driver frees the page a callback function is automatically invoked to return a response to netfront which then revokes the grant.

For RX requests netfront posts I/O buffer page grants to the RX I/O channel. When netback receives a packet from the bridge it retrieves a posted grant from the I/O channel and issues a grant copy hypercall to copy the packet to the guest page(domU). Finally, netback sends a response to the guest via the RX channel indicating a packet is available."

I am not quite sure what changes or api's I need to call such that existing Tx/Rx buffers(rings) used for DMA in the native drivers starts talking via netfront/netback.

Inputs appreciated.

Thanks
-RK